Mitchell’s Cottage

Mitchell Henry was quite an innovator. In Ballinakill bay just outside Letterfrack, he set up oyster beds. Local folklore has it that a boathouse was built on lambs island, (a very small green patch in the middle of the bay) with stone quarried from ‘Tom Toby’s Hill’ across the bay in Dawros. By the early 1900’s the oyster beds were dormant and in 1922 the boat house was dismantled, stone by stone, and brought ashore by Curragh (small hand built native boat). From the shore the stone was transported by ass and cart and Mitchells Cottage was built directly onto the clay. In 2007, most of the cottage was demolished and rebuilt with a large extension. The original stone has been meticulously re-built into the cottage which retains its historical significance and enhances its aesthetical appeal.
The cottage has been built to exceed modern building standards while still retaining it’s original character. The cottage has been re-designed with family rental in mind. There are two master bedrooms with en-suites and two twin rooms which suites two couples with children, thus halving the rental cost

Online Enquiry

Make an enquiry directly to Emmerville House B&B Kerry by completing the form below.